Oft-described as this movie generation’s ‘It’ loveteam, what is it about KathNiel that it has been getting one project — teleseryes, films, endorsement deals — after another since the team-up was born on the set of Princess & I in 2012? What is it about the duo that they draw fervent emotions and reactions, whether positive or otherwise, from stargazers online (as well as off-line)? What is it about them individually that makes them click together?
Is a real-life sweet, young romance part of the equation?
“It doesn’t matter if they’re together or not,” Cathy Garcia-Molina, who directed them in the primetime soap Got To Believe and the Star Cinema movie She’s Dating The Gangster, said of Kathryn and Daniel, both 18. “Maybe what’s unique (about them) is that Daniel is Daniel and Kathryn is Kathryn. When you combine the two, there’s really a certain kind of magic they have that you won’t see in others precisely because they’re two different people.”
Find out more how different yet similar the two Kapamilya stars are as The STAR clues in on their favorite things.
Kathryn: I would say the Last Song by Nicholas Sparks and The Notebook. I love romantic books, especially the books of Nicholas Sparks.
Daniel: I’m more of a movie person. Mas gusto kong may nakikita ako. But I enjoy reading comics.
Kathryn: I can watch The Notebook over and over again. I love rom-coms!
Daniel: Lahat ng Spider-Man movies, the first series (starring Tobey Maguire) and also the second one (topbilled by Andrew Garfield). For me, the first Spider-Man, more Hollywood style, then yung pangalawa parang comics ang style.
Kathryn: (I like) champorado and sopas. Mahilig ako sa sweets like ice cream, chocolates, then chips and popcorn. Yung mga nakakataba hahaha! Bawal? Sometimes. But they’re letting me eat them because they want me to gain some pounds. I need to go back to my previous weight because when I became sick recently, I immediately lost weight. That’s why I’m eating a lot of fries nowadays hahaha!
Daniel: Ako yung mga hindi ko inaakalang pagkain, kunwari nagugutom ako, tapos magtatanong ako, may pagkain ba diyan, tapos sasabihan ako, ’Nagdala ako ng pagkain,’ yun masayang-masaya na ako, hahaha! But my ultimate favorite isbeef mechado. I love the sauce!
Kathryn: My song of the moment is Problem by Ariana Grande. It’s my favorite now because DJ (Daniel’s nickname) gets irritated whenever I play it, hahaha! Pero masaya siya pakinggan, maganda ang beat.
Daniel: It’s hard to answer the question because I have a lot of favorites. But I’m into rock and relaxing music. It really depends on my mood. I like ’60s to ’90s music. I love The Beatles, Scorpions, Deep Purple, Metallica, Guns N’ Roses and Eminem. I grew up with their music. I understand their music more.
Kathryn: Sandra Bullock and Natalie Portman for international, then Ms. Judy Ann Santos and Ms. Maricel Soriano for the local.
Daniel: Johnny Depp. I enjoyed all his films. Pinaka-favorite ko yung movie niya na Blow, ang galing! Local, of course, TitoRobin Padilla, FPJ, John Lloyd Cruz…Yeah, I want to do projects similar to John Lloyd’s.
Kathryn: All of them, of course, but She’s Dating The Gangster is special because it’s the most mature project that we’ve done.
Daniel: Same but Princess & I is memorable because dun nag-start lahat.
Kathryn: My favorites are my memories from gradeschool kasi sumasali ako sa kung saan-saan. I was active in extra-curricular activities.
Daniel: Growing up, ang dami kong happy moments at mga paghihirap. Lahat yun naging motivation ko sa acting ko.
Trip and with whom
Kathryn: When I went to Europe with my whole family and to Korea (with mom and stylists.) (Daniel: “Hindi ka ba nag-enjoy nung magkasama tayo?” Kathryn: “Nag-enjoy din.”) Isang beses lang kasi kami nagkasama for vacation with DJ, in Macau.
Daniel: Yung sa Tacloban (he recently gave a free concert for Yolanda survivors; Tacloban is special to him because he has relatives there and he lived for a time there). It wasn’t for fun, but it was a “mission accomplished.” It wasn’t for enjoyment, it was for a cause. Ang sarap ng feeling.
Gift from someone else
Kathryn: Favorite ko si Snow, yung binigay na aso ni DJ. And Cola and Nacho, mga aso na bigay rin niya (DJ). Also, the necklace he gave me is a favorite. It’s a heart necklace in rose gold and silver given to me last Christmas.
Daniel: Lahat ng bigay niya but the favorite perhaps is the Ernie Ball Stingray bass guitar that she gave me.
Gift for yourself
Kathryn: My bags and shoes, like any girl. But overall, the biggest gift I bought for myself or rather my greatest investment is, of course, my house. It’s done already. Actually, a house was already there, but I had it fully renovated. Yung dream car, not yet, I’m still saving up for it.
Daniel: Yung house. It’s actually not for me, but it’s a gift I promised to give my mom (Karla Estrada). (According to reports, it’s a two-storey, eight-room, Mediterranean-inspired house.)
Kathryn: Reading, playing with my dogs and spending time with my family.
Daniel: Jam sessions with my band band Parking 5 (of which his brother, Jose Carlito, is the lead singer and he the bassist). Playing basketball and computer games.
Advice on career and personal life
Kathryn: From my parents: For me, to just give my best all the time. On love? Don’t rush.
Daniel: From my mother: To be a good person, and always respect others.
Loveteam you look up to
Kathryn: Piolo Pascual and Judy Ann Santos. We hope one day, we can be (as successful) them.
26. Daniel: Also, John Lloyd and Bea Alonzo.
27. Kathryn: There are so many! Most touching and overwhelming is whenever they cry upon seeing us. It makes us happy.
28. Daniel: Yes, I also get hugs from fans hahaha! I don’t mind. It’s okay with me. I would do the same thing with my idols.
Ikaw at ako, walang magbabago.
Take One Presents She’s Dating the Gangster
Save the Date! #SevenOneSixOneFour
She’s Dating a Gangster a Story Based on the Popular Wattpad Story by Bianca Bernardino known as SGWannaB
Experience KathNiel Day 1
this is some jerry springer shit.Hahaha
Daniel Padilla, na-bully at napaiyak nga ba ng totoong gangsters?
SATURDAY, JULY 5, 2014
Kanina ay kumalat ang balitang na-bully at napaiyak daw si Daniel Padilla ng mga totoong gangsters, na sinigawan siyang “albularyo.” Nangyari pa nga raw ito sa isang mall sa Makati. At true enough, may kumalat ngang post sa FB na pinaniwalaan naman - o siguro’y pinagdudahan ng iba na baka totoo.
Knowing DJ - na gaganap na isang gangster sa upcoming Star Cinema movie na She’s Dating The Gangster, malabong mangyari ito. Super maawain si DJ, pero siya mapapaiyak ng gangster? Malayong mangyari. Pero para sa ikakatahimik po ng lahat, pinarating ko pa rin sa Mama Karla Estrada niya ang kumakalat na tsismis. At siya na po mismo ang nagsasabihing hindi ito totoo.
"Not true mars, gawa-gawa lang ang kwento," ang sabi sa akin ni Karla.
Ang mga tao nga naman, siguro sa excitement na rin na mapanood ang movie, nakakapag-isip na ng mga kwentong tulad nito. Well, hindi naman natin sila masisisi… kasi kahit tayo di ba super excited nang mapanood ang movie nina DJ at Kathryn Bernardo, na showing na on July 16.
slow-mo moments: then vs now / mbl vs sdtg / first movie vs second movie
BRO I AM SO EXCITED
Those Slow-mo Moments! Please July 16 na sana bukas!
Can pretend love lead to true love? This is what the characters of Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo will find out in the romantic movie She’s Dating the Gangster. SDTG is based on the young adult novel with the same title published by Summit Books.
The movie is directed by Cathy Garcia-Molina with a screenplay from Carmi Raymundo. She’s Dating the Gangster tells the heart-wrenching tale of 17-year-old Athena Dizon who pretends to be the girlfriend of campus bad boy Kenji delos Reyes who wants to make his ex jealous. Aside from Kathniel, the film also features the “special participation” of Richard Gomez and Dawn Zulueta. Other cast members include Khalil Ramos, Igi Boy Flores, Marco Gumabao, Pamu Pamorada, Alexander Diaz, John Uy and Yana Asistio. This Star Cinema movie is slated to open on #SevenOneSixOneFour or July 16, 2014. Before the movie opens in cinemas, here are 5 things you need to know about She’s Dating the Gangster:
1. The tragic-romantic fan-fiction story originated online. Psychology graduate Bianca Bernardino started writing She’s Dating the Gangster in late 2005 until January 2006. She originally posted it on www.candymag.com in April 2006. The story was published on social publishing site Wattpad, after which it was released by Summit Books in March 2013. The following April, it shot to the top of National Book Store’s Philippine bestseller list. She’s Dating the Gangster is now on its 7th reprint and Summit Books has already printed 115,000 copies. Trivia: Bianca Bernardino thought Summit Books Managing Editor Mavreen Yapchiongco was playing a prank on her when she contacted her!
2. There is a movie tie-in available. In anticipation of the release of the movie, Summit Books has released a special version of She’s Dating the Gangster featuring Kathniel on the cover. There are 40,000 copies of these printed. It features the original edited version from candymag.com’s Teen Talk forum. The film tie-in cover is an ever-growing trend in publishing, especially for Hollywood productions. Trivia: The movie tie-in edition is in Taglish and contains pin-ups of Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla!
3. There is a gangster checklist. In the prologue of the book, there is a note from Athena listing the qualities that make her say that Kenji is a gangster. To quote: He’s not into a gang nor is he a criminal. I just mean that he’s your typical bad boy: — he’s irritating — he’s loud — he smokes and drinks — he goes clubbing on weekdays — he gets into fights It remains to be seen if Daniel’s Kenji will display all these characteristics.
4. The writer originally envisioned Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson as Athena and Kenji. In a previous interview, Bianca Bernardino recalled that Kimerald was the popular loveteam back then while she was writing the story. She initially thought Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson would be suited to portray Athena and Kenji. “Kasi nung time ko…2006 pa itong libro na ito, e. Wala pang Kathniel noon. Naisip ko nga nung time na yun si Kim Chiu at Gerald Anderson ang bagay. Kaso Sa generation ngayon, sina Kathryn at Daniel na yung mas bagay sa karakter.” But now, Bernardino sees why Kathryn and Daniel are a good fit for their roles: “Kasi, si Daniel kasi medyo bad boy yung pino-portray niya sa TV. Akala natin ganun siya pero nakikita ko na medyo sweet pala siya na tao despite of being a bad boy image. Medyo ganun yung karakter nung guy sa book ko. “Si Kathryn naman kasi medyo parang underdog na palaban, e, ganun yung girl dito sa book na kahit na anong gawin sa kanya ay hindi pa rin sya nag gi-give-up.” (Read: Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla topbills movie version of the book She’s Dating the Gangster)
5. Expect deviations from the book. In an interview with Direk Cathy Garcia-Molina published in the July 2014 issue of YES! Magazine, she revealed that they made changes to the movie version. “Aminado kami na maraming eksena ang hindi namin maipakita na tulad ng sa libro, at merong mga eksena na babaguhin nang konti sa ngalan ng pagpoprotekta naman sa medium ng cinema. “With due respect naman to Summit and Miss Bianca, lahat naman ‘to alam nila. So there is a mutual understanding and may permission from them, and they understood why these changes have to be done.” Direk Cathy assures fans that the modifications have been handled well.
Enemies to Sweet Lovers ♥ Teaser Abangan Mamaya ang 2nd Part Before ASAP19 #SevenOneSixOneFour #ShesDatingTheGangster #TeamGangster @imdanielpadilla @bernardokath @Estrada21Karla @min_bernardo
Athena Dizon and Kenji Delos Santos = AthenJi 💞�
1st Part Abangan ang 2nd Part Mamaya After ASAP19